Before your oral surgery, please follow these guidelines:
- Do not eat or drink anything six hours before your appointment (including coffee, orange juice, water, etc.).
- Arrange for a relative or friend to drive you home.
- Get a good night’s rest the night before your appointment.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages the night before the operation.
Please note: Payment is expected at the time of treatment unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
Proper care following oral surgery will hasten recovery and help prevent problems. Please follow these instructions:
- Maintain biting pressure on the moistened gauze placed over the extraction site for 30-45 minutes, repeat as needed.
- If you have uncontrollable bleeding, pain or excessive swelling, please notify our office.
- DO NOT smoke for 5-7 days.
- AVOID brushing, rinsing, spitting or using a straw for 24 hours. After 24 hours, resume brushing and rinse your mouth with ½ teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water 3-4 times a day for one week.
- You may eat any foods that are tolerable. Avoid extremely hot items while areas of your mouth are still numb. A high intake of water and other liquids is especially important and helpful for healing.
- Swelling will reach its peak in 2-3 days. To help minimize swelling, apply cold packs to your face directly over the surgical sites during the first 36 hours. (A 30-minute period, separated by 10 minute intervals is recommended.) After 36 hours, switch from ice to moist heat applications. Use until swelling is gone.
- Varying degrees of discomfort, swelling, bleeding, jaw stiffness, mild temperature elevation and facial discolorations are normal 2-7 says post-surgery. Alternating doses of Ibuprofen may be used if needed. DO NOT take pain medication on an empty stomach.
- Stiches may come out on the day of surgery or any day following surgery.
- Additional rest will assist recovery.
- If a syringe was given, wait one week after surgery to use it. Fill the syringe with lukewarm water, carefully place the tip in all lower extraction sites and rinse after every meal.
- Prescription pain medications WILL NOT be called in or refilled after hours or on weekends. Please be sure to call our office during business hours for all prescription needs.
- If you had general anesthesia with your procedure, DO NOT drive a car or operate machinery for 24 hours.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call our office.